Friday, May 19, 2006

The Importance of Being Idle

I started to gain the title “Idle Girl” among friends and fellow 4th level dwellers (not that I’m proud of it). There’s quite a towering pile of things to do, but as slacker-ism triumphs over common sense, I managed to dodge and do nothing instead.

Actually I don’t believe the concept of ‘doing nothing’ because even when you’re not doing anything significantly of use, you’re still doing something. Whether it’s just daydreaming or just simply being absent-minded, it is still a thing you’re doing, isn’t it?

Here are 5 idle favorite activities (paradoxical eh?) of the moment.
1. Being in good company of classmates 2002
Is it just me or this week IS the best week ever? It’s the last week of class of 2002’s ‘final’ semester. Yes, it has been 4 years now. Unbelievable. And soon it’s coming to an end.
Suddenly every conversation is 10 times more interesting.
Every joke is 10 times funnier.
Every friendship is 10 times more cherished.
Every moment is 10 times more treasured.
And every minute is passing 10 times faster.
Maybe I’m just over-dramatizing time. Maybe it truly is the end of an era. OH! I’m SO going to miss these days.

2. Contemplating
Borrowing a term so abundantly used by two of my friends Viar and Igun.(How they can contemplate with all those monoxide, tar and toxins in their lungs, brains and blood is just beyond me:). Actually it’s just a fancy word that has the same meaning as ‘overanalyzing’:
Trying to find/bring/conjure meaning from every little (and big) thing that happened in one’s life.
Trying to figure out the mechanics in which all these intertwining components and events are interacting with one another.
Trying to make the most use from one’s linear and confined mind to comprehend life whilst it is not meant to be comprehensible.
Does believing in ‘nothing in life is a coincidence’ means that one has to know the reason why the non-coincidence has to happen in the 1st place?
Overanalyzing can bring revelation and agony at the same time. I take the chances and always succumb to the temptation of doing it over and over again. And lately everything that happened in my life is becoming more and more inexplicable.

3. Browsing illustration blogs/websites
I am obsessed of illustrations, especially those on children book. Growing up attached to pictorial books, I still carry around the vivid images from those books in the back of my mind somewhere. Those are among the most beautiful pictures I’ve seen in my life. Of course, there are also Wyeths, Degas’, Hoppers, et cetera et cetera..but somehow those picture retain a special place in my mind and also my heart. That’s why I’m also obsessed of being a children book illustrator. It’s almost overwhelming to think that my illustration can linger forever in a child’s mind for years and years after the printed pages became yellowish and decayed.

4. Reading Jason Mraz’s On Line Journal
I heart Jason Mraz. I truly do. Bearing the risk of sounding like a cheesy teeny bopper who subscribes to Teen People and Tigerbeat, I hereby declare that in a public space.

5. Bickering
I know, I know..such a bad habit, it is. My only excuse would be: Turmoil needs an outlet, sooner or later. But I feel sorry for my v.v.v.v.patient friends who have endured my endless bickering. Apologize for that, guys! I will try my best to be less whiny in the future.

Footnote:
The super-ego version of this list would be (i.e. the things I would be better off doing):
Working on final year project
Working on simulation assignment
Working on business plan assignment
Working on after-graduate plan
Working on self actualization and inner peace
GULP!! They all begin with “working on”!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home